Jellyfin at first impression seems like some underwater sea creature, with few cheezy soft legs dangling inside the water, you might wanna search a science journal or refer to an encyclopedia if you are looking for such information.
Here in this article, we are going to discuss the jellyfin media server that is used to organize our media on a server.
There are many media server options available like Plex and emby but all these are not free to use and they charge a premium for accessing many features. Jellyfin is a very good alternative for all such users.
Jellyfin is an open-source and free-to-use media server option. It helps you collect, organize, manage and stream your media from anywhere. Jellyfin helps you stream all your downloaded movies, music, web series, etc.
Let us have a look at jellyfin’s features :
- Jellyfin is supported on multiple OS systems like Ubuntu, Arch Linux, Windows, MAC OS, Fedora, CentOS, etc. So this provides robustness to Jellyfin as it can be integrated with a variety of devices. A portable version of jellyfin is also available that can run on any device having a .Net core runtime environment.
- Jellyfin allows us to stream our media from various devices and applications like any web browser, Android Tv, Chromecast, Fire TV, IOS device, etc.
- Jellyfin also has a Live TV option to stream different shows and also it allows us to set auto-recording so that we don’t miss any favorite TV shows.
- Jellyfin being an open-source application is free of cost and this is something that differentiates it from any other application.
- Jellyfin also provides metadata about different movies and TV shows that we have in our library.
- Jellyfin also respects the privacy of the users and it doesn’t collect any user data, it must be noted that jellyfin only allows us to stream our media, we cannot download or surf any media from jellyfin.
Now, integrating jellyfin with the seedbox will make the process of streaming our media much easier. Jellyfin eliminates the need to download content on our personal computer using different file servers like Filezilla and going through all that complex procedures and instead we can just enjoy streaming movies from any location using any device.
How to connect jellyfin with Seedbox
Connecting jellyfin with our seedbox and configuring is very simple just follow the below steps and you will be ready to stream your media:
Step1: Login to your Iseedfast client area and look for Jellyfin in the apps section
Step2: Click on the install button and Jellyfin will install automatically on your seedbox.
Step3: Once you are done with the installation of jellyfin, open jellyfin from your client area. Select your preferred language from the dropdown menu and click on next.
Step 4: Now we need to set up a username and password that will be used every time we try to login into the jellyfin account. We can leave it blank in the password area if we don’t wish to set a password.
Step 5: The next step is to set up a media library, i.e. setting up the content we want to stream using jellyfin. Click on the add media library.
Step 6:In the content type, we have to mention the type of media that like movies, Tv shows, music, etc. write the name of the folder that you wish to give to the library, this folder name will be displayed when you use jellyfin to stream your media.
Step 7: Click on the “+” icon beside folders and set up the path for your media. Here you need to select the path wherein all your movies and tv shows are downloaded.
Step 8: Select the preferred language in which you wish to download the metadata(Ratings, cast, genre, etc.) for all your movies, and then click on the OK button.
Step 9: Click on the Next button as you have already set your preferred metadata languages.
Step 10: Check-in both the boxes and click on the Next button. Allow remote connection will let you stream your media from different devices like your android phone.
Step 11: Click on the Finish button and you are done with configuring jellyfish for your seedbox.
That was the whole process of configuring jellyfin with a seedbox. Now you will be redirected to a sign-in page. Here you have to log in using the username and password that we had configured earlier.
Once you sign in you can view the folder that you have created. Jellyfin will automatically show the metadata that it has fetched. Here you can see that the posters of the movie are visible so this is the metadata that jellyfin fetches automatically from the internet.
You are now all set to enjoy your Movie night or maybe just watch an episode over lunch from your mobile.